Wednesday, February 17, 2010

update, stopped neurotransmitters

I never adjusted to the full dose of neurotransmitters. I felt tired all the time, and who wouldn't on 900 mg of 5 HTP daily?! I looked at the benefits - no more spotting and steady basal temps, and wondered what was causing those changes. Tired all the time and no improvement at all in sleep seems hardly worth it.

Then I started thinking .... when I changed to natural thyroid he put me on a whole grain. That is more than I was getting previously, I believe. Perhaps the improvement in the hormones were more due to thyroid changes than neurotransmitters? Could be.

I stopped taking them yesterday, except for the nighttime dose because I was taking that dosage of 5 HTP previously to help with sleep and it was working as well as these pricey neurotransmitters. I was dizzy and tired all day yesterday. I'm somewhat improved today and have more energy today than I've had in a while.

I also started reading about thyroid and spotting. I found something interesting. Estrogen and thyroid can counteract each other. In estrogen dominance or low progesterone states, it's common to spot several days prior to menstruation. I guess it's more likely that it was the increased thyroid dosage that helped my hormonal problems than that it was the neurotransmitters.

I dug out an old book called "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause." It said that low progesterone/estrogen dominance can cause insomnia! It also said that it can mimic hypothyroid, that thyroid patients who test borderline (like me) can be helped by using progesterone cream because in reality it's too much estrogen causing the problem rather than too little thyroid. The book says that many of their patients have been able to stop thyroid meds after using the cream for several months.

I ordered some cream to see if it helps. I also started taking DIM for estrogen dominance. I'll keep you posted. But for the record, the neurotransmitters weren't a help for me. Considering my age (almost 47), it makes more sense that it's low progesterone the more I read.

I know it's crazy to be trying things on my own, but at least the things I've tried on my own haven't set me back like these neurotransmitters did, in fact. most of them have helped. I'd rather do the research and go with what I feel works rather than using something that my doctor feels works and makes him lots of money .... it's not like he tested me, he did the same thing I did, went on a hunch .... not that I'm encouraging you to ignore your doctor ..... I'm not, rather I'm encouraging you to research what your doctor recommends.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you familiar with Photon Sound Beam by Unified Field Technologies in AZ? Their machine is much cheaper than going to Germany, and it really sounds like it is similar to what the Bionic 880 is. You and I messaged back and forth through lymenet, I don't know if you remember me, but anyway, wondering if you have any feedback on that.

With regards to the thyroid, I would completely agree! It's so easy to throw all of our symptoms in one basket and call it lyme, but I have hypothyroidism and take armour thyroid and it helps A LOT with fatigue, but also with insomnia. Also, melatonin helps me!

I am glad you have a good head on your shoulders and aren't blindly following a doctor, and throwing money at him when you can use your brain, too. So, I'm a follower and look forward to seeing how you're doing.

Good luck and good health!

In His care,
Jenn

sixgoofykids said...

Hi Jenn,

No, I have not heard of that treatment, but quickly looking over their website, it looks like a different technology altogether. Not that that makes it bad, it's just not the same. The PE1 is more similar and many use it with good results.

I am feeling better getting off all that 5 HTP!! Shocker!! My only issue right now is some lower back pain and I'm seeing a chiropractor for it. Otherwise, I feel great!

I hope you're feeling well, too!